Hurricane season begins June 1st, are you prepared?
Your hurricane kit is vitally important for your families safety during and after the storm.
Here is a checklist to make sure you have what your family needs:
- At least 1 gallon of water per person for 7 days (2 people=14 gallons of water)
- Non-perishable snacks and packaged/canned food for at least 7 days
- Non-electric can opener
- Change of clothing, rain gear, and sturdy shoes
- Prescription Medications
- Personal hygiene items
- First-aid kit
- Fully charged phone and charger
- Extra pair of glasses/contacts
- Pet care items, including food
- Flashlight, battery powered radio, and batteries
- Extra sets of car keys
- Special items and food for infants, elderly, or disabled members of your family (at least 7 days worth)
If you have a generator:
Important documentation (in a waterproof container):
- List of family, friends, neighbors (with contact information)
- List of family doctors (with contact information)
- Insurance policies (life, health, home, auto)
- Bank account numbers
- Current utility bill to prove residency should your area be secured due to damage.
Tip: Fill your bathtub with water before the storm, so if water service is disrupted you will still be able to flush the toilet.
This list is a basic one that will ensure basic needs for a short time while services are being restored. After a storm, especially a catastrophic one, it may take longer than a week to get electricity back to your home.