With more and more people running their own businesses, the line between personal and business life can get a little blurry. Don't make the mistake of blurring that line with your auto insurance. A personal auto policy
doesn't cover business use of your car
, and come claim time, there could be a problem.
So how do you know if you need a Business Auto policy? Here's a few questions to ask yourself:
- Are you using your car to deliver any type of food or product?
- Are you transporting products to retailers or wholesalers?
- Are you delivering products to consumers?
- Are you transporting people?
- Do you use your car to pick up customer's property for repair or cleaning?
As far as what a Business Auto policy covers, it looks a lot like a Personal Auto policy. A business Auto policy will give you:
- Liability coverage - in case you are responsible for injuring someone or damaging their property.
- Comprehensive coverage - if your vehicle is damaged by anything other then a collision.
- Collision coverage - takes care of damage to your car if it collides with another car or object.
- They may also offer rental reimbursement and towing.
The real difference here is in the usage. There are countless scenarios for business auto usage and every one is different.
If you're not sure if you need a Business Auto policy, call your agent today.